User tools SmallNormal Text SizeLargePrintBookmark the SiteEmail this Page
Plymouth vs Derby County
 0 - 3 
Home Park
Steve Cook

Coca-Cola Championship
Gareth Davis reports from Home Park

Derby eased to their biggest away win in the league this season with an excellent display to earn a 3-0 success at Plymouth Argyle.

Both sides had chances and hit the woodwork in a first half that never really got going until three minutes before the break when Gary Teale's goal of the season contender opened the scoring.

And within six minutes of the second half getting underway the Rams were out of sight.


First, Kris Commons was the provider for Rob Hulse to make it 2-0, and he added his second of the afternoon from close-range after great work by Teale.

Commons and Martin Albrechtsen might have extended the lead, while at the other end Stephen Bywater produced a fine save to ensure Nigel Clough's men kept the clean sheet.

The Rams made one change for the long trip south to Plymouth with Miles Addison restored to the starting line-up after shaking off a minor hamstring niggle.

He took the place of Lewin Nyatanga, who dropped to the bench, where he was joined by new signing Chris Porter - eligible to feature for the first time after his move from Motherwell.

And it was the Rams who had the first chance with two minutes on the clock when Barazite chipped the ball into the area to find Kris Commons, but he was snuffed out on the edge of the six-yard box by a combination of goalkeeper Romain Larrieu and strapping centre-half Krisztian Timar.

Back roared Argyle but somehow they failed to take the lead when presented with a golden chance.

Gary Sawyer advanced down the left to support the attack and lifted over a deep ball to the far post where home debutant Alan Judge surely had to score.

But the man on loan from Blackburn Rovers screwed his shot rather than making a good contact and the ball bobbled back across goal before rolling safely out and past the target.

Rob Hulse then headed a Barazite cross wide but Derby were very close on ten when they were awarded a free-kick no more than 20 yards out, just right of centre.

It was set for the left-footer and Commons curled it over the wall but it clipped the bar and bounced to safety with Larrieu beaten.

But after a lively start the game had gone somewhat flat, though conditions surely weren't helping with a strong wind blowing down the ground and the pitch beginning to cut up in places already.

However on 25 the home side were lifted through striker Jamie Mackie, who stole the ball from Robbie Savage in midfield and smashed in a long-range effort that beat Stephen Bywater, hammered against the crossbar and then bounced down before hitting the back of Derby's number 13.

The ball could have gone anywhere but, thankfully for the visitors, it span away to safety.

Six minutes later Derby forced a corner that the home side failed to clear properly and when it was played back in Hulse took a touch and turned before, from a narrow angle, firing his shot into the side-netting.

A couple of corners came the Rams' way soon afterwards but neither came to anything, somewhat summing up the efforts of both sides with the game ticking towards the interval.

But with two and a half minutes to go before the whistle Derby were in front in spectacular style.

They pegged Plymouth back inside their own half and eventually the ball came out to Teale, whose first 25-yarder was blocked at source but it came right back to him for another powerful effort that totally bewildered Larrieu and found the back of the net via the underside of the crossbar.

It was somewhat out of keeping with the game as a whole but came on the back of a fine recent run of form for the Scottish winger.

If that wasn't good enough for the Rams, just 25 seconds into the second period their lead was doubled.

Commons was released down the left and pulled in a low ball that Larrieu and Craig Cathcart failed to deal with, leaving Hulse to pick up on the loose ball and roll in his 12th of the season from a narrow angle.

It was just the right start to the second half for Nigel Clough's men, though Plymouth did battle back a few minutes later to force a flurry of corners that ultimately came to nothing.

And on 51 it was surely game over with Teale the provider following a tremendous run down the left and after the home defence failed to cut him out, Hulse had the simplest of tasks from a yard out right in front of goal.

Commons headed a Barazite free-kick wide as the Derby surge continued, with the Home Park faithful somewhat subdued by their side's predicament.

And shortly after the hour the number seven rattled in a swerving 30-yard free-kick that looked to be dipping under the crossbar until Larrieu got back to turn it over.

From Commons's corner Martin Albrechtsen powered a header goalwards only for Paul Gallacher to clear it off the line.

And on 68 minutes the Rams made their first change of the afternoon - a debut for Porter, who took over in attack from Hulse, given a deserved break and a deserved ovation from the away following.

Substitution number two followed on 75 as Mile Sterjovski replaced Barazite on the right with Derby now in cruise control.

At the other end Judge threatened something for the hosts when he picked up on a long free-kick and created a shooting opportunity on the edge of the box, but his effort was straight at Bywater.

On 77 Bywater was given more of a test when Mackie turned and fired one to his left from 14 yards but he was more than equal to the challenge with a fine diving save.

And Commons headed off soon afterwards after another fine afternoon's work, to be replaced by Tito Villa.

Perhaps the number seven timed his moment well as not long after his departure came a hefty flurry of snow - though thankfully it subsided rather quickly.

And also going quickly were the final minutes of this encounter as full-time arrived without any items of note - just what the Rams required for their third win in a week.

Plymouth Argyle: Larrieu, Duguid (C), Walton, Timar, Gallacher, Kouo-Doumbe (Clark 58), Fallon (Barnes 64), Sawyer, Cathcart, Judge, Mackie.

Substitutes: MacLean, Noone, Summerfield.

Derby County: Bywater, Connolly (C), McEveley, Green, Commons (Villa 78), Savage, Hulse (Porter 68), Teale, Addison, Barazite (Sterjovski 75), Albrechtsen.

Substitutes: Carroll (GK), Nyatanga.

Attendance: 10,893 (853 visiting fans).

The 2008/09 season - in association with



Gary Teale celebrates his stunning opening goal of the game. Picture by Andy Clarke
Teale's stunner and Hulse's double earn points
 Match Information
  Plymouth Derby
Goals : 0 3
Possession : 48% 52%
Shots On Target : 5 8
Shots Off Target : 4 6
Corners : 6 10
Fouls : 11 9
Most Fouls : Cathcart (3) Hulse (3)
Yellow Cards : 0 0
Red Cards : 0 0
Scorers :
Teale 43
Hulse 46
Hulse 52
Full Match Stats
 News Archive
Display Stories From Week

Derby County Business Finder is powered by &
All materials on this website © Derby County Football Club & FLPTV Ltd.

CEOP - Report Abuse

Part of the Club Player network

Photographs courtesy of Andy Clarke, Empics and Getty Images

Company Details

All rights reserved save as per website Terms of Use. Cookies & Privacy. Subscription terms and conditions.


For all advertising and sponsorship enquiries, please click here